Wednesday, July 20: Either eat lunch early or pack a picnic and head to San Pedro. We'll meet at 12 noon at the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium. Museum is free, with optional donation. Touch anemones, sea stars, and more in the touch tank! Watch cool underwater critters swim round and round. Play in the sand and explore the Cabrillo Beach Coastal Park (parents--pack towels and a change of clothes). http://www.cabrillomarineaquarium.org/
Following that, we'll head a few blocks away to the Point Fermin Lighthouse! $1 donation per person requested. We can take a tour and also visit the wonderful playground that shares the park. http://www.pointferminlighthouse.org/visit.html
I'd like to set our Thursday park outing tentatively for noon (bring picnic lunch!) at Douglas Park in Santa Monica. However, I have to check with the park authorities to see if the water features have been re-opened (they were being cleaned a couple weeks ago).
In case you are anxious for the next convenient low tide to go tidepooling, here's the soonest I could find:
ReplyDeleteMonday, 07/25/11 at 11:14AM (2.73 feet Low Tide)
Pending the schedule for next week, we could try it as an outing. However, it is the three weeks. I double-checked and swimming is permitted, but not recommended in "potentially dangerous conditions." Not sure what that means.
Tidepooling doesn't necessarily equal swimming, but my experience is that kids tend to want to go wading in the waves if they're anywhere near the beach. What do ya'll think? Comment below or send me an email.
I would imagine that low tide means calmer ocean and they would just be wading anyway. Potentially dangerous prob is surfing, snorkeling or swimming out in the ocean...
ReplyDeleteYeah, that's what our Rebbitzen wrote me yesterday. I think we'll be making the trip...it'll be great to go after all the "fake" tidepool exhibits we'll see on outings this week, because the kids will practice the 2-finger rule for petting critters ahead of time, and they'll understand why the water level has to be low.
ReplyDeleteDouglas Park's water feature is still under repairs (the water pump is kaput). We will NOT be having our park meetup there as stated above.
ReplyDelete